Monday, August 25, 2008

Hot or Not?

I would be willing to do quite a bit in the name of love. Or romance. Or, yes, passion. I would be willing to defy convention, put aside opinions, and open my mind up to whatever possibilities I might find before me. I think I'm open minded. But I have my limits, as I suppose we all do. So where do I draw the line?

Well, recently, I was doing a bit of research on aphrodisiacs. Some researchers believe that they are stimulants, while others chalk their reputations up to mere old wives tales. What was on the list?

There were a few old standbys, which we've all heard of. And yes, most of us are willing to try. I'd rank them as HOT.

1. Chocolate - Find me a woman who can resist chocolate. No scientific evidence needed here.
2. Strawberries - Sweet, tasty, and potentially a lot of fun, especially given the introduction of whipped cream.
3. Oysters - I don't eat them, but I've heard first-hand accounts of the effects.

So what is on my NOT list? What would I refuse to consume in the name of passion? Let me tell you.

1. Atta laevigata - A leaf-cutter ant found in South America. Known for their strong mandibles. The good news is that they are low in saturated fat.
2. Turtle eggs - Yeah. I'm sure they are delicacies in some countries, but I can't get past the image of the pets we used to keep as kids.
3. Spanish fly - First, it is a bug. Second, it can "cause painful urination, fever, and sometimes bloody discharge." I'm no expert, but those seem like mood killers.

Any surprises for me on the list? A few...

1. Kelp - I never thought of seaweed as sexy...but hey...mermaids are hot, right?
2. Chili peppers - They release endorphins. They make us feel good.
3. Pine nuts - Apparently, they are high in zinc, which helps male potency. So the story goes.

I guess the point isn't whether these are scientifically proven to help improve mood but whether or not we believe that they do. And if we think we're hot, ready, and willing...then I'm betting we are!

No comments: